NY Times Link / Housekeeping Details

Here is the link to the NY Times article where I’m mentioned. You may have to log in to read the article. Don’t sweat it – registration is free.

Does any one know how to convert the Times feed for this story into a permanent URL? In a few weeks the article will go into the archives and be unavailable.

Many thanks to Julia Moskin for writing a fantastic article. I was honored that my voice was included.

A note to readers using Macintosh – many of you have written to tell me that my blog is filled with weird &*%$ symbols that interfere with your reading pleasure. I apologize. I do write my stuff in Word and cut and paste it into Blogger. I am open to any suggestions on using a different program to edit my stuff where this doesn’t happen.

In the meantime you can read Waiter Rant at Bloglines – there are no formatting issues there!

Many thanks to all the people who emailed me. I reply to every missive. Just give me some time!

9 thoughts on “NY Times Link / Housekeeping Details”

1. Luke says:

Try writing it in Word as usual, but then copying it into notepad (this will remove all formatting), then posting – that should solve the problem

2. Anonymous says:

Sadly, the NYT doesn’t keep its articles online past the two weeks. Make a copy now. You can buy the right to reprint it on your site for a year for the low, low price of just $1000. Glad to see your compelling writing get some broader exposure.

3. Anonymous says:

For those of you who don’t like login/passwords for this sort of site…
    They even have a firefox plug in, you right click on a username field in a website, select bugmenot, and it logs you in using any username/password combo in the database.

4. Anonymous says:

It won’t last. I suggest you print PDF or take a hi-res screengrab and have those who want to read it get it from you via e-mail. Or just copy and paste the text, and give all relevant writing credit details after.

5. Mike says:

Here’s a way you can do it in Word and yet keep your posts weird-character-free. When you’re done with the post, save it, and choose “Plain Text.” A file conversion window will come up. Pick the “Other encoding” radio button, pick “US-ASCII” off the list, and click on the “Allow character substitution” checkbox. (Or, record a macro to do all of this.) You’re then all set — double-clicking on that document will let you cut and paste from the document with no weird characters.

Another thought — check out the “Encoding” preference in your Blogger settings. You might want to change it to Unicode, see if that makes a difference.

6. Mike says:

Also, with regards to the New York Times article, it will last if you use a link generated by the New York Times Link Generator (explanation as to why it will last here). I put your article in there and it returned this link:

7. Anonymous says:

In Safari, you can select View, Text Encoding, Unicode (UTF-8) to see everything nicely too

8. arkanabar says:

Use Notepad instead of word.

9. DPG says:

Hi, I love your blog. It is very entertaining as you have a very captivating writing style. In WordPress when you transfer a post from word, click on the HTML tab and paste into there… this will transfer your text minus all the formatting. Word is really really bad as it adds insane formatting to text. Once you have pasted the text into HTML view, Click on visual view to make any last minute formatting changes and hey presto! Nice clean posts without all the nasty formatting.